There are many diseases and conditions that may cause the loss of your hand grip strength. A stroke, Parkinson’s disease, arthritis or even a simple accident are some of the possible situations that can result in hand weakness.
NUADA is a revolutionary system, consisting of a light and portable exoskeleton for the hand. Its appearance is similar to a glove with a built-in wristband. It allows the user to grasp objects up to 40 kg with a completely relaxed hand.
From the outside, NUADA is a device that looks just like a glove. On the inside, however, there are built-in artificial tendons that help to support the hand when activated. This function is controlled by the patented wristband system.
NUADA is ergonomic, comfortable and discreet, using several lightweight components to provide a non-intrusive solution to the hand. The long-lasting battery allows stroke patients to regain their hand grip and perform their everyday tasks.
How does NUADA glove work?
The system is composed of a textile glove that looks and feels just like a normal glove. This part of NUADA is connected to a support system that helps users to hold objects. NUADA is controlled by hardware and software, integrated on a device that looks like a normal smartwatch.
Initially, the system is off. To turn it on, just press the button on the wristband and the glove will adjust to the hand.
The “on system” has two possible states: active and inactive.
- When the system is inactive, it will work like a normal glove, not helping in hand functionality.
- When the system is active, the user can close the hand around any object and the device will adapt each finger individually to it. After surrounding the object, the user can relax the hand muscles and it is impossible to release it without changing the system to the inactive state.
Using the NUADA allows a hand grip to hold up to 40 Kg objects, even for stroke patients. The user can change states simply by clicking on the smartwatch or by doing a certain angle with the wrist.
The glove is made from light and breathable fabric, to allow the users to even forget they’re wearing it. Depending on its use, this textile will have more or less durability. Whenever necessary, it can be easily replaced, keeping all the other components.
Technological specifications of the NUADA system
Despite its simple appearance, NUADA is the result of leading-edge technology. The components of this device come from many technological areas.
To produce NUADA we used:
- 3D modelling;
- Mechanical force modelling;
- 3D and mechanical prototyping and manufacturing development, by injection moulding and metal milling.
The NUADA’s main mechanical components are:
- Support system: Which controls the mechanical state of the system;
- Wrist bracelet: Attaches the support system to the arm to provide interaction;
- Motor interface: Enables a motor to be connected to the support system and control it digitally;
- Artificial tendons: Wires that connect to the user’s fingers;
- Textile glove: Made from smart materials with textile electronic integration, allows the placement of the artificial tendons.
Developing this solution involved:
- PCB design;
- Industrial design;
- Electronic prototyping and manufacturing;
- Sensor integration;
- IMU signal processing;
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi communication protocols, to enable the user to control the mechanical structures of the glove and get supported with minimal input.
NUADA is equipped with:
- Processor: Dual-Core, 240MHz, 32-bit MCU;
- Memory: 520KB RAM, 2MB user flash;
- Display: 1.22in round shape, IPS, 240×204, 65K colours, capacitive touchscreen;
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n (802.11n up to 150 Mbps) 2.4 GHz ~ 2.5 GHz, Bluetooth v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE;
- Battery: Lithium polymer battery (3.7V, 1500mAh) with an autonomy of 12 hours.
- Android and iOS development;
- Azure Cloud Technologies;
- 3D simulation;
- Statistical modelling.
To act as low-level control of the electronic hardware, it includes a standardized, hardware-independent operating system, named FreeRTOS, for complex device software, such as Tasks, Timers and Queues.
We ran pilots and patient adaptation.
A solution to enable the recovery of hand grip strength after a stroke!
A stroke is one of the main causes of losing the hang grip strength. The NUADA system is a technological solution developed to improve the quality of life of the patients. It is particularly useful in conditions that cause hand weakness, like a stroke, helping to recover the hand grip.
Visit our website and learn more about the NUADA solutions!